Friday, May 6, 2011

Rainbow cupcakes

Here is probably the coolest thing I have made so far. I found a recipe for rainbow cupcakes that I made for my boss's birthday. First you just make a box of white cake mix...
Then you separate it equally 6 times and start adding food coloring. The instructions called for around 12-14 drops of food coloring per batch to make them really bright. First purple and blue...

Green and yellow....

And orange and red...

Then get your cupcake liners and start layering. Start with purple, then blue on top...

Green on top of blue...

Yellow on top of green...

Orange on top of yellow...

And finally red on top of orange...

The layering process took forever and I would probably only do a couple of colors next time. But, it is totally worth it...

Then I made a batch of simple buttercream and added random food coloring until I came up with a color I liked...periwinkle blue.

And I finally got a chance to use my new Wilton decorating bags and tips!

I used the rosette looking tip to make little flowers all over the cupcakes.

Up close shot...

Last shot before I dig in...

AMAZING!!! The colors even made an arc like a real rainbow. Everyone at work ate them up like crazy and thought they were so cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment