Saturday, November 17, 2012

Memory Tree and Apple Crisp

My BFF Ryan sent me a package from 1-800-Flowers, and when I opened it I discovered a biodegradable pot, a bag of dirt, a bag of moss, and a gift wrapped acorn surrounded by moss and pine needles.

This is a kit to grow your own memory tree from a company called Seeds of Life. So I am now growing an oak tree in memory of my step-dad Mike.
 Here is a shot of the acorn surrounded by moss before it gets covered by the rest of the dirt.
 And the decorative moss goes on top...now just waiting for it to sprout. Should take 8-12 weeks according to a website I found, which means it should be showing by Christmas hopefully! Now all the Linleys just need to decide where we can plant it this spring where everyone can see it.
 I found a recipe for apple crisp in the paper a few months ago...it's actually called Vanilla Bean Apple Crumble. So it took forever to cut up a bunch of apples...and the peels kept flying across the kitchen!
 Mixing up the dry ingredients for the crumble topping, sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt.
 And add some butter and you smush it all up with your hands then refrigerate.
 This is some lemon juice and some vanilla...you're actually supposed to squeeze a vanilla bean...but seriously where do you buy one vanilla bean?
 Add some brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon...
 Then add the lemon juice and vanilla and mix it all up with your hands again and put it into a baking dish.
 Spread the crumble mixture over the top.
 And bake! This smelled so freaking good in my house.
 Served with some Cool Whip! This was really good and everyone at work had literally gigantic piles on their plates.

No comments:

Post a Comment